Our 57-acre organic farm is nestled in a beautiful setting in the County of Brant, in southern Ontario between Brantford and Dundas. We are bicycle friendly – located right along the Great Trans Canada Trail with a cycle repair station onsite. New in 2019, we are offering Farmstay experiences at our quaint farmhouse suites and camping sites on the farm. Our current focus on the farm is growing medicinal and edible herbs. We sell our herbs, related products and some organic produce by appointment.
Richard Tunstall and Ella Haley are the energetic and busy people behind the scenes at Heart’s Content Organic Farmstead. They love living on the farm and also love having people visit and share the experiences available here. It is easy to reach by car or by bicycle. In addition to the Farmstay experiences there are guided nature walks and medicinal plant tours. There are many attractions within cycling distance from the farm. Make plans to visit, relax and experience Heart’s Content!
- Started organic farming on family farm
- Began selling produce at the Brantford Farmers Market
- First year of Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
- Purchased farm from our family and began transitioning it to organic
- Much of the heavy field work was done with Belgian workhorses
- Collaborative work with the Langford Conservancy to establish the Langford Schoolhouse a community food hub
- Initiated marketing organic wildcrafted herbs
- Helped secure approval and launched the certified kitchen at the Langford Schoolhouse for community use
- Workshops held at the Langford Schoolhouse and at our Farm with topics including fermentation, edible wild plants, mushroom cultivation and medicinal herbs
- Switched from farming with horses to our 100% electric tractor
- Introduced Farmstay experience with the creation of 2 new Suites at our Farmhouse, plus camping onsite
- Added onsite Cycle Repair Station
Our areas of interest and specialization include naturopathic medicine, environmental health, community organizing, wild crafting, fermentation and baking
Through the Langford Conservancy we educate about the importance of protecting farmland, and we work to foster a welcoming, inclusive sustainable farming community, to protect migrant workers and to help new farmers access land.
We also work with Better Brant to protect farmland and the Grand River Watershed.