POSITION: Organic Farming Staff
EMPLOYER: Heart’s Content Organic Farm
LOCATION: Brantford, Ontario
ELIGIBILITY: 30 or younger
HOUSING: is available at $600/month. This is wheelchair accessible housing.
We have been farming organically at our farm which is right on the Rail Trail between Hamilton and Brantford for 17 years. We now focus on medicinal herbs, wildcrafting, creating wheelchair accessible farmstay units and creating a more naturalized space for ecotourism. This summer our plans include restoring a wetland.
- care for the Langford Schoolhouse (lconserv.ca) which we help to operate as a community hall (grounds work, renovations, cleaning and showing the hall)
- work with others to create a welcoming community for migrant farm workers (food drops, bikes, ESL)
We are looking for a creative, flexible, hard-working individual to assist with
- organic farming -preparing seed beds, planting, using farm equipment (electric tractor, walk behind tractor, hand tools), cultivating, weeding, harvesting, drying and storage
- wildcrafting – harvesting medicinal herbs, drying herbs
- conservation related work (tree care, dealing with invasive species, planting pollinator species, restoring a wetland)
- preparing and operating the farmstay (small scale construction, drywall -mudding and sanding, painting and tidying
- care and tidying of grounds, yard maintenance, tidying buildings
- preparing value added herb & food products (salves & dried herbs)
- Sorting fresh unsold food for distribution in the community
This is a Physically demanding job
We are very conscientious about safety during the COVID19 pandemic. PPE will be provided for use if working in closed spaces or within 2 metres of each other. Periodic COVID19 tests may be required.
8 week position, starting as soon as possible. There may be a possibility to extend the term.
Must be between 18 and 30 years old. Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
$15.00/h for 35 h per week
Available at $600.00/month. This is wheelchair accessible housing.
Fluency in Spanish spoken and written would be helpful